Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Day Starts Early

The day starts early.  The family I'm staying with is currently living in their Montessori school.  They have two rooms at the back of the school and share the kitchen and the bathrooms with the staff and children.  In order to have personal time in the bathroom, you have to get up before the first child arrives (this can be as early as 6:15) or else you may have a visitor wandering in to see what you are doing.  Actually, the arrangement works well.  I don't know how many times I've wished I had a bed at my school when I was working late.
The school, City Montessori, is like a huge family.  Every child who walks through the door is greeted warmly and made to feel like the day is ready to begin now that he or she has arrived.  There is a 4 month old baby, Skylar, who is passed around all day - being held and loved by every adult.   One of the children's grandma spends most of her days at the school, helping out by being a warm lap for a child. Everyone pitches in with anything that is needed.  It is beautiful to see -
There is definitely a  lesson to learn from City Montessori.  There is something special here and I'm not sure if I can put it into words at this point.  Whatever it is, it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment