Friday, November 12, 2010

Performance

I'm staying in a Montessori school while here and today (Saturday), the children are performing for their families.  A tent has been set up in the backyard and the children are arriving.  Just like children everywhere, they can hardly contain themselves for all the excitement!
There should be close to 200 people for the performance and each family is bringing food for afterward.  My favorite - a potluck!  Except this potluck will be like no other with Hindi and Muslim families, Afrikaan and Coloured (an acceptable and much used word to describe anyone of mixed background).  The food is going to be incredible! Yep, my fears are coming true - I'm going to return to the US with an extra 20 pounds!
I'm truly hoping Gary and Bonnie don't have any surprises for me like having "The American" give a speech.  This happened to me in Kenya once when I had to speak in front of a huge group without warning.  Not my thing but hey, will do what I need to do.
Ok - I need to go be social!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what happened to my last post. I am not good with computers. LOL

    I was asking if you ended up having to give the speech? When I was in Murithi's village I ran into the same thing. I had to make two speeches and I am very afraid of public speaking. However, I realized when I got up in front of all those people the words came easy. I believe when you are feeling something so emotional and it is hitting home the words come to you. I know you will do great if you ever have to make a speech in these settings...you feel very emotionally about Africa!

    ReplyDelete